Oh how I love meringue, strawberries and whipped double cream, and especially when these delicious tastes combine! You just have to love this super easy Eton Mess recipe.
The Eton Mess recipe is a traditional British recipe. Several different stories tell why it’s called Eton Mess. There is this story of the Labrador dog that accidentally squashed a picnic basket with strawberry pavlova, during a cricket match at Eton College. The boys didn’t mind their dessert had been squashed and ate it anyway! Another story tells the Eton College first served Eton Mess in 1930 at a cricket match. It has continued to be served at the annual match ever since.
I for sure love the dog story best 🙂
Any ways, the result is delicious and can be prepared in many ways. Of course, life as mom is busy and we love the easy, fast way of preparing this simple yet yummy dessert.
SUPER EASY ETON MESS RECIPE
- 2 cups (500 grams) of strawberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) whipping double cream
For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
With this you’ll have probably some meringue left (which I’m sure you don’t mind!).
To make this recipe even more simple you can also buy ready-made meringues. Then you’d need around 4 of 3″ (7.5 cm) meringue nests.
1. If you want to create home-made meringues, preheat the oven to 212°F (100°C)
2. Whisk the egg whites and salt in a bowl using an electric mixer. Mix till soft peaks form.
3. Gently and gradually add some sugar, whisking well between each addition. Mix till sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Place little bits of the meringue (you can for example use 2 teaspoons) on a baking tray and bake them for 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. In the meantime, whip the double cream until stiff peaks form.
6. When the meringues cooled completely, crush most of them and add to the chopped strawberries.
7. Fold the meringues and strawberries through the double cream and make sure to to over-mix.
8. Top with some crushed meringues and some extra strawberries. ENJOY!
Want to see more of our easy recipes? Click here
Like CELIMOM? Keep up with the latest DIY projects for your parties, recipes, FREE printables, party theme ideas and more by following CELIMOM at Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook. Or subscribe to our mailing list to have them delivered in your inbox!